In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1perro raposero masculino
- Training young foxhounds (which have no natural inclination to kill foxes) begins early in the season with ‘cubbing,’ where the new hounds are encouraged to chase and kill fox cubs.
- There are 11 000 working foxhounds in the United States.
- By the late thirteenth century, King Edward I had a royal pack of foxhounds but it was not until several centuries later that foxhunting was generally taken up by the nobility.
- More than 10,100 competitors were expected to take part in 25 different sections at the three-day event, ranging from pigeons to cattle and foxhounds to flower arranging.
- Drag hunting first developed as a way to test foxhounds, but it had turned into its own sport by the middle of the 19th century.
- A fearless horseman, he was a joint master of foxhounds and served as medical officer with the Scottish Horse in the Territorial Army.
- He said Yorkshire had one of the highest concentrations of mounted foxhounds, beagle packs and terrier and lurchermen, from moorland fox packs to ratters in Leeds and Sheffield.
- I have in my capacity as an obedience pet instructor had 2 foxhounds attend my training sessions, both animals were ex hunting dogs and took long-term patience and perseverance to acclimatise them to a normal pet lifestyle.
- It is a role that sees him take responsibility for the hatching of partridge eggs, watching out for fly-tippers as well as organising foxhound, beagle and lurcher club meets and seeing to the needs of shooting syndicates.
- The 4,500 sq ft building was once the kennels for the foxhounds of the Bramham Moor Hunt, but the hounds left the time of the third earl in 1820.
- A crowd of more than 100 people saw sheepdogs drive and foxhounds trail, but some competition categories had few entries, and one had none.
- The Jack Russell was originally bred to assist the foxhound in its work, but how many people in this country ride to hounds any more?
- A host of other attractions, including dog-clicker demonstrations, a gundog and falconry display, and the Wilton hunt foxhounds parade excited the crowds.
- From foxhounds to sheep dogs, none can be successful in their natural inclinations without proper training.
- The roll will include seven packs of beagles, one pack of minkhounds, two packs of harriers, two packs of fell foxhounds and 13 packs of foxhounds.
- The pack of harrier hounds - a smaller breed of dog than foxhounds, but larger than beagles - is kept at kennels near Gisburn.
- The Sporting magazine of 1800 lists all of the packs of foxhounds in England.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.