In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1crema o pastel con almendras
- Spread the frangipane on the dough, keeping it 1 1/2 inches away from the edge.
- The pastry was delicately flaky, rich and buttery but not overwhelmingly so, and the frangipane was soft, flavorful and simply marvellous.
- Cover with the frangipane (but don't fill to the brim) and cook until it has risen and turned golden.
- The pear and frangipane tart needed more pear, but its almond frangipane was moistly satisfying and its pastry had the almost sandy crumbliness which is the hallmark of good shortcrust.
- This frangipane is basically equal parts almonds, sugar and butter held together with eggs.
- A perfectly worthy, if dull, strudel tart cried out for a layer of seasonal apples or pears to complement its buttery pastry, almond frangipane and dry, crumbly topping.
- This caught the imagination of the pastry cooks of the day, who created various pastry creams involving eggs, butter, flour and almonds which became known as frangipane.
- Certain items like those filled with butter cream or frangipanes are less popular than they use to be.
- The apple, blackcurrant and elderflower smoothie sounded good, but far too healthy for me, as did the pear and almond frangipane tart.
- The feathered design of almond and chocolate frangipanes gives a flare to this seemingly simple dessert.
- Bakewell tart, with a non-sweet pastry base, layer of strawberry jam and frangipane topping is a classic English tart loosely related to the less common but more historically interesting Bakewell Pudding.
- He urged me to try the day's fresh tart: pear poached in white wine with frangipane.
- It's hard to do justice to the succulence of the pears in light frangipane sponge, encased in triumphant, well-fired, crunchy pastry.
- It's worth waiting the 15 minutes required for his chocolate Pithiviers, a crisp igloo shape of hot, thin puff pastry, filled with warm, soft bitter chocolate and almond frangipane, served with an elegant coffee bean sauce.
- Spread this almond frangipane mixture into the flan case, then dot cherries here and there over the top, pressing them into the frangipane.
- Her view is that frangipane originally meant a ‘cream’ flavoured simply with almond and used in the construction of various cakes; but later, by a natural extension, the confections made with the cream.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.