In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(not stale, frozen or canned)frescofresh vegetables — verduras frescas
- the fish was caught fresh this morning — el pescado es fresco de esta mañana
- we went out for a breath of fresh air — salimos a tomar un poco de aire (fresco)
1.2(untired, vigorous)(appearance/complexion/face) fresco(appearance/complexion/face) lozanodo it when you're fresh — hazlo cuando estés descansado / más fresco
- she comes fresh to television — esta es su primera experiencia en televisión
- it was still fresh in his memory / mind — lo tenía fresco en la memoria
1.3(newly arrived, produced)fresh off the press/production line — recién salido de la imprenta/la línea de montaje
- fresh from school — recién salido del colegio
- fresh from the cow — recién ordeñado
- fresh from the oven — recién horneado
2(not salty)fresh water — (with masculine article in the singular) agua dulce femenino
3.1(new, clean)(linen/clothes) limpioit needs a fresh coat of paint — necesita una nueva mano de pintura
3.2(new, additional)(stocks/supplies) nuevo(initiative/evidence) nuevohe made a fresh attempt — hizo un nuevo intento / otro intento
- they took fresh heart/courage from the news — la noticia los reanimó/les dio nuevos ánimos
- to make a fresh start — volver a empezar
4.2(cool)frescoit feels a bit fresh — hace un poco de fresco
5.1informal dated (taking liberties)frescoto get fresh with sb — propasarse con algn
5.2US (cheeky)descaradoimpertinentea fresh remark — una impertinencia
- she was fresh to her grandfather — se insolentó con el abuelo
1I've just baked them fresh — están recién salidos del horno
- fresh ground coffee — café recién molido
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.