In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Royal Navy group, which will include a submarine, a frigate, a destroyer and two support vessels, will set out from Portsmouth on Saturday.
- It will involve more than 60 ships and submarines, including the American carrier USS Enterprise, 20 frigates and destroyers and 54 aircraft.
- For example, say you are a commander in charge of a battle group consisting of three destroyers and six assault frigates.
- Cruisers, destroyers, and frigates are collectively referred to as surface combatants.
- Between six and ten ships - usually destroyers, frigates and tankers - are attached to the Force for up to eight months.
- By 2020, the Navy will have no frigates left, and all its destroyers will be large and expensive.
- It would be three frigates against one destroyer.
- Ingalls has already prepared two U.S. Navy frigates for transfer.
- Predominantly it was the destroyers and frigates of the Navy that served.
- Senator Hill said that while the focus of the maritime campaign had shifted to carrier air operations, there was still a requirement for frigates to conduct some escort and patrol duties.
- Other vessels included a Ticonderoga class cruiser, Arleigh Burke class destroyers, guided missile frigates and two Los Angeles class nuclear submarines.
- Hence only sixteen frigates and two support ships - Fort Victoria and Fort George - were constructed.
- In March 2004, the Royal Netherlands Navy signed a contract for the transfer of two M-Class frigates to the Chilean Navy.
- Perhaps the best example of this is the ability of Canadian frigates and destroyers to operate in U.S. aircraft carrier battle groups.
- The size of the active fleet is also being steadily cut, with just 32 frigates and destroyers in service.
- At sea, he served in a battleship, an aircraft carrier, in cruisers, destroyers, frigates, and a minesweeper.
- The troop carrying convoy would then sail from southern English ports protected by an escort of frigates and corvettes.
- Four different frigates and destroyers, as well as seven auxiliaries, had supported the operation.
- Up to ten destroyers or frigates are normally attached to the Force for up to six months, with Command rotating on an annual basis among the nations contributing ships to the Force.
- The Seahawk is operational on US Navy frigates, destroyers and guided missile cruisers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.