In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He has suffered frostbite in his fingers, his eyesight is blurred, he has problems with his hearing in one ear and his gums are coming away from his teeth.
- Ice should not be applied directly to skin because it can cause frostbite - place a cloth between the ice and skin.
- Prolonged application of cold at very low temperatures can cause frostbite or nerve injuries.
- The condition has been known to arise from injuries as diverse as frostbite, leg ulcers and punctures from hypodermic syringes.
- In cold weather, the wind-chill factor significantly increases the chance of frostbite and other disabling injuries.
- The lucky ones only lost their fingers and toes to frostbite, since air is much colder at higher altitudes.
- Some will succumb to frostbite (fingers and toes are often lost) and there may be tense encounters with wild animals.
- Hypothermia and frostbite can also cause problems for people during a very cold snap.
- Not all of them know, however, that if it's left there too long, or applied directly to the skin, an ice pack can cause serious frostbite.
- Your fingers and nose are suffering from burning frostbite.
- But I would've looked fantastic as the paramedics treated my frostbite, I'm sure.
- None from this group suffered from severe or very severe frostbite.
- It not only protects against wind burn and frostbite, but it also keeps you from breathing in super-cooled air.
- Somebody did find me that day but I already had severe hypothermia by then and frostbite also.
- He has not yet lost a toe or finger to frostbite, and added that ‘no mountain is worth losing a digit for’.
- In 1941 he treated a young Canadian for frostbite, and had to amputate the man's gangrenous fingers.
- Winter weather can be nasty, and two of the meanest winter culprits are hypothermia and frostbite.
- Operators should know the signs of hypothermia and regularly check for frostbite.
- You can identify frostbite by the hard, pale and cold quality of the skin that has been exposed to the cold.
- Insufficient food has also left him two stone lighter with chronic gum and tooth pain and frostbite has deformed one of his fingers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.