In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1plum-cake masculinoponqué de frutas masculino Colombiafruit cake masculino Méxicobudín inglés masculino Río de la Plataas nutty as a fruitcake — más loco que una cabra coloquial
- A while ago I suggested that it would be a good idea for Americans if they were to hive off a part of the country I call the ‘axis of stupidity’, and let all the fruitcakes who have been dragging the whole country down go live there.
- It does not mean that ALL smokers are fruitcakes.
- The fruitcake must live in alternate reality.
- I thought he was a bit of a fruitcake or an odd fish.
- That he was loathsome, a complete fruitcake, and madman is well known.
- Will you meet nutcases and fruitcakes in your travels?
- The title character's, perhaps, a little less nutty than the rest of the fruitcakes, but it's a close call.
- Being a studio picture, this is only the beginning, and we are taken on a ridiculous and unbelievable journey through the kind of paranormal world that only unbalanced fruitcakes could possibly relate too.
- We will not try for ‘balance’ by hiring fruitcakes; we will try for balance by hiring non-ideologues who have carefully thought through the issues.
- Good to see that even the fruitcakes are now identifying the real enemy of civilization.
- As I write this, the police are looking for some creep who murdered an innocent young woman, apparently at random and without any motivation except that he's a fruitcake.
- And if there is one consolation to spending a fortnight stuck in the jungle with an assortment of fruitcakes, it is that the experience makes you feel quite sane.
- Just to be clear, we are looking into a way to bring back comments under a registration system that will ensure that we can manage the debate environment in order to keep out timewasters and fruitcakes and the rest.
- If he really was just a fruitcake (that's how they'll try to portray him) they wouldn't pay any attention to him.
- Anyone who thinks that these folks are part of some common ‘network’ is just a fruitcake.
- Before you accuse the chefs of being fruitcakes for starting so well ahead of Christmas, remember that this cake, like wine, gets better with time.
- He was accused of lying, sleeping with young boys and being a fruitcake.
- In kind, if I proclaim on a street corner that a certain Japanese beetle in my back garden is the new Messiah, you are also within your rights to ridicule me as a fruitcake.
- So they tracked him down, and he said, Oh, no, she's a fruitcake, she's made it all up, which drove my family and friends crazy.
- Did I mention that guy from Quebec is a fruitcake?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.