In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Convoys of senior diplomats converged on the theatre for hours of frustrating and fruitless negotiations.
- Last week's picket forced the council to concede hours of informal and ultimately fruitless talks.
- Many fruitless attempts had been made to set these aside or modify them.
- Some of the second round confrontations were as fruitless as those of the first.
- Shortly after returning from a fruitless search he took ill and died from tuberculosis.
- His essay concludes with a look at the Netherlands' largely fruitless efforts to establish a New World empire.
- Months of fruitless negotiations culminated in the attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941.
- And when their efforts again prove mostly fruitless, the cycle starts anew.
- I have seen women who worked with diet alone conceive when previous efforts were fruitless.
- The years 1820-3 were thus largely taken up with a fruitless pursuit of operatic success.
- He retraced his steps and spent an hour in fruitless search on the street.
- Trying to make ourselves stronger than everyone else is surely an unproductive, ultimately fruitless endeavor.
- Answering ads in professional or trade journals can be just as fruitless.
- Sam stopped resisting after a bit, finding it to be a fruitless endeavor.
- After fifteen minutes of fruitless searching among the " lifestyle " titles, I was in despair.
- But measuring the group's many recordings against each other is ultimately fruitless.
- The strike vote forced an equally fruitless meeting with the Liberal Democrat and independent council cabinet.
- The police insisted this was a coincidence and urged young people to avoid such drastic and fruitless pursuits.
- They waited for another opportunity to receive a signal but this proved fruitless too.
- The title means nothing, and locating meaning in the film is a mostly fruitless challenge.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.