In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Television pundits lambasted her image as a frumpy housewife who delivered dull speeches while clad in dowdy grey or brown suits.
- She did take a moment to glance at what Lisa was wearing though, and wasn't surprised that it was one of her usual dull, frumpy outfits.
- But with Tiffany gone, she no longer looked so dull and frumpy in comparison.
- Every fall I struggle to find a pair of shoes which are comfortable, not frumpy, a bit trendy but not overly so, give me a little lift so I don't feel so casual everyday.
- Well she's cute, as ever, and it's nice to see so many women over the age of 30 continuing to play the love interest these days instead of being relegated to the frumpy mom roles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.