In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(functioning)(part/weapon/machine) en buen estado (de funcionamiento)(law/rule/principle) vigente
- Future examinations of behavioral and functional effects on reproduction will allow us to conduct better ecological risk assessments.
- The concept is to assure food safety through development, implementation, and effective management of a functional hazard control programme.
- Eric works hard to keep the site not just functional and operating, but to make sure it thrives and is a viable source of information, as well as a medium for all the writers to reach a variety of readers.
- And Mr. Hogan, what you were saying that maybe 2005 or 2004, we might be functional, operating from our new site?
- In this experimental study, the effect of a functional approach to grammar teaching is examined in the context of French immersion classes at the grade 6 level.
- And the vision that must develop has to be one that is functional and that is effective in a globalised world.
- They are straightforward in nature and won't win any prizes for sophistication, but they are functional and effective.
- The response to the scandals was a campaign aimed more at suppressing illegal abuses than at boosting the functional effectiveness of intelligence.
- Perhaps the most interesting aspect is the contrast between this flamboyant style and some of the more functional, if effective, tactics employed by Europe's top sides.
- Long before we knew anything about the physical basis of heredity, factors or genes were identified in terms of their functional or phenotypic effects.
- While the department was fully functional, operating with five pharmacists, Lochan said as of yesterday, a vacancy was created when a member of staff went on extended leave.
- The Dolby Digital 2.0 track is uninspiring, but completely functional and effective for a dialogue-driven feature.
- In fact, an attack may have no functional effect either - it may create directly an operational effect on the decisionmaker.
- Cogently, it is important to indicate that effective leadership requires a functional working credo that is more appropriate for the years ahead.
- There are many examples of organizations continuing to exist even where they are not particularly effective or functional.
- That is, sites that are attractive, practical, functional, and interesting.
- Gernon is attracted not only to its functional design but to its versatility.
- It's an attractive and functional design and a excellent exemplar of public art.
- Influenced by the avant-garde jewellery art scene in Germany, her designs go beyond functional accessory into the realm of individual self-expression.
- For a web design to be amazing it has to be eye-catching, functional and practical.
- The design elements and functional characteristics of the product itself are just part of the overall marketing process.
- This means that my bras tend to be functional rather than visually attractive.
- In fact, you don't need a book collection at all, since these functional and attractive ladders are every bit as useful in the kitchen, den, home office or even the garage.
- The plain, yet functional, robot design had been wholly transformed into a work of art that even the greatest masters would weep at the sight of.
- But like all good design, it is functional as well, with training and conference suites as well as office accommodation, a library, an organic café and a retail area.
- Its original simple black frame was more functional than attractive, and curators wanted a more appropriate treatment.
- Simple in appearance and designed to be functional, the very first fabric awnings were only installed when and where they were needed.
- Each item is also faithful to a set of core principles including value for money, simple, functional design and basic, understated colour.
- With quality and functional differences among products largely having narrowed over the past decade or so, eye-catching design can be decisive.
- Katy chose to focus on design, as in functional contemporary design rather than fine art and sculpture.
- According to a company press release, the site was chosen for its ‘simple, functional, yet elegant design’.
- Charlotte, on the other hand, has a clean and simple, elegant and functional design, that was highly usable.
- Once again, Pearl Izumi has designed a functional and attractive article of clothing that is not only great on the bike but in other uses as well.
- There are no flashy lights or LED's so if this is something you are looking for, look elsewhere; the unit is designed to be functional and simple above all else.
- The great variety of design and the opportunity to own a very attractive, functional tool also make knives highly collectible.
- ‘Gauche, perhaps, but practical, functional, and utilitarian,’ Saffron said.
- Physicians would note amnesia in a chart and try to determine whether the amnesia was organic or functional.
- Heart failure is a complex syndrome that results from any structural or functional cardiac disorder that impairs the ability of the heart to function as a pump.
- They may have functional dyspepsia or diseases such as peptic ulcer or gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.
- No patients were excluded on the basis of the type of structural or functional heart disease.
- The main differential diagnosis of delirium is from a functional psychosis (such as schizophrenia and manic depression) and from dementia.
- It's a deep vein of functional psychosis in my family.
- Psychoses may be divided into two categories, organic or functional.
- The highly influential psychiatrist and philosopher Jaspers listed the functional psychoses as schizophrenia, manic - depressive insanity, and epilepsy.
- It also can be used to treat functional disorders such as trigeminal neuralgia.
- Malnutrition, typhus, tuberculosis, sepsis, and universal diarrhoea (probably functional rather than infective) were rife.
- The cases have been described as either a ‘toxic psychosis’ or a functional psychosis.
- Age at disease onset and functional class were the strongest independent predictors of survival.
- Amyloidosis is a functional disorder marked by unusual depositions of amyloid protein in various organs.
- Patients with predominant epigastric pain without peptic ulcer disease or oesophagitis have functional dyspepsia.
- These four species, however, are the only cereals from which functional disease resistance genes have been isolated and characterized.
- The worth of the person is not affected by disease, disability, functional status, or proximity to death.
- Cardiac disease, including left ventricular structural and functional disorders, is an important and potentially treatable comorbidity of early kidney disease.
- Insomnia may be functional, a signal that you need to attend to what got you up.
- Depending on which symptoms are apparent, delirium may be mistaken for a variety of disorders including dementia, mood disorders, and functional psychoses.
- Reveal tumors and functional disorders in organs such as the lungs, liver, pancreas, kidney and spleen
- There is good evidence for structural and functional diversity within a hepatic acinus, which is the smallest structural / functional unit in the organ.
- Of particular interest is the more controversial class of amnesic syndromes known as dissociative, functional, or psychogcnic amnesias.
- Although IBS is a functional disease, it not only causes physical suffering but also has a great impact on people's quality of life.
- This discussion focuses on the acute treatment of functional psychosis.
- In any case there were no discernible functional consequences associated with the removal of these amino acids.
- In clinical practice, severe liver disease and celiac disease are probably the two most common causes of functional hyposplenism.
- The challenge is to reliably sift out and satisfactorily reassure the 40% with functional disease without missing those with more serious pathology.
- Various prokinetic drugs might help in organic and functional dyspepsia.
- An estimated 4 to 7 percent of prisoners suffer from a functional psychotic mental illness
- Persistent symptoms are often multiple and disabling and may be described as functional syndromes.
- This edition divides voice disorders into three causal areas: functional, organic and neorogenic, with a separate chapter on each.
- Many patients with functional class IV heart failure are symptomatic because of inadequate diuresis.
- Indeed, the histologic findings revealed less damage, suggesting better functional organ capacity in these animals.
- Patients with functional heartburn have symptoms that are typical of esophageal disease but that have no physical explanation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.