In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(strangely)de modo extrañode modo raro
- It would have been awful, because, according to my judgement, the threat of hoovering wasn't just a joke - many funnily gross things happened on camp to make me believe it would be done.
- Where he had once been funnily cynical, he became at times viciously cruel, not only to myself but to our daughters, who came to resent and fear him.
- He had a funnily authoritative way of speaking, she noticed, especially for his age - although age was relative with Caleb.
- She paused and looked at Wyatt funnily before reaching out a plucking a long brown hair off of his coat.
- Miles stared at him funnily then walked toward the target.
- Allegra entered his room, she was wearing a pair of jeans and a puffy, warm sweater, it looked expensive… but a look at her slippers was funnily contradictory.
- He looked at her funnily and slowly took the piece of toast out of his mouth.
- Chris looked at her funnily before giving a small chuckle.
- I find him, by and large, very funny, though he's always treads a fine line between being funnily offensive and being downright offensive.
- The pace of this album goes something like this: sex to sexy, and funnily put at that.
- Why on earth did Ben have to act so funnily today?
- ‘The younger one was Tim and the older one was John,’ says Emma in a funnily breathless voice that sounds as if she's about to faint.
- Others do, extremely funnily at times, but it's just not me, I'm afraid.
- Yes, pop culture pedagogy is, indeed, one way to funnily distract students from the mandatory, often punitive-seeming (to both students and teachers) experience of comp class.
- She speaks earnestly, thoughtfully and funnily about how we are all ‘differently abled ‘in one way or another.’
- Tana just acted normal, pretending not to understand why they were all looking at her funnily and angrily.
- One student watched her funnily as she violently shook her pen up and down.
- Some of these characters are important, some just drift through the film; all are sketched funnily and realistically.
- Jahson looked at him funnily, but did not answer.
- And people will look at you funnily for even thinking that they might care.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.