In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1carcoma de los muebles femenino
- The drugstore beetle is similar to the cigarette beetle and the furniture beetle in appearance but is slightly larger, more elongate, and has distinctly striated wing covers.
- The life cycle is similar to that of the common furniture beetle but can take many years to complete.
- Preventative measures should be taken to protect any valuable wood product against the larvae of furniture beetles.
- Unlike many other wood boring insects, the common furniture beetle is as comfortable in sound timber as in decayed timber.
- Damage by the furniture beetle is identifiable by a peppering of tiny holes in the surface of the wood.
- The wharf borer only attacks rotten wood and not sound timber but the furniture beetle can cause far more damage.
- Poplar weathers very well but it can be attacked by the western cedar borer when it is growing and furniture beetles when seasoned.
- The sapwood is susceptible to attack by both the powder-post and common furniture beetles and logs and tress are liable to attack by forest longhorn or Buprestid beetles.
- Emerging adult furniture beetles will bore through this new surface to reach the outside, leaving new holes for you to spot.
- As the title suggests, the book also includes information on borers, powderpost beetles and furniture beetles, as well as fungal decay and defibration.
- Reddish-brown furniture beetles, whose larvae are book worms, are wood-boring insects that infest neglected books stored in humid conditions.
- Attack by furniture beetle occurs in both sound dry timber and that which has been affected by fungal decay.
- Despite being in the same family as the furniture beetle, it does not bore into wood.
- Both furniture beetles and death watch beetles require a little more water than is generally found in a dry and well maintained building.
- Timber can fall foul of insects such as the common furniture beetle and the deathwatch beetle, as well as from fungi such as dry rot and wet rot.
- In heated houses the conditions are thus not optimal for the survival of furniture beetles.
- It is well documented that common furniture beetle mates and lays eggs down old tunnels, often well below the surface.
- If precautionary treatments against furniture beetles are unnecessary in old buildings, then will they protect against fungus?
- The only one in the UK, the house longhorn, makes oval exit holes 3mm to 6mm wide, compared to 1.5mm for the familiar furniture beetle.
- The biology of the common furniture beetle is similar to that of the Queensland pine beetle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.