In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(animal) peludo(toy) de peluche(covering/lining) afelpado
- Any bite from a warm-blooded furry creature must be considered suspect, even if minor.
- The curious red-eyed female headed straight to the well ripe banana we had been given on our arrival to tempt the furry creature.
- At the pet store, I spotted a cute, furry puppy and an equally cute guy working there.
- Now the house Pomeranians eat cat food, the stray cats eat dog food and all the furry creatures sit where they wish.
- CottonTails rescue centre in Westbury has taken so many of the furry pets into their care they desperately need to find new owners.
- It's a sad fact that when you share your life with small furry creatures, you have to face the inevitable.
- That makes this leaf eater with its furry feet one of the rarest animals in the world.
- This furry scrap of a creature was of course completely lovable and endearing, but only to people who like cats.
- Why do goats sing and what can a bee, a mouse, and an unknown furry creature have in common?
- Dogs are more socially acceptable than dolls and, being alive and furry, a little more entertaining.
- When I stoop to feel the texture of a small furry leaf, she quickly tells me not to touch the plants.
- Before long he discovered a large, peculiar seed; it was furry and the color of pomegranates.
- The leaves are light green, slightly furry and have an attractive scalloped edge.
- The tagged rodent was released into the wild to allow researchers to investigate how the little furry pests behave on small islands.
- Usually Gerbils have a white furry tummy and their tails are also covered in hair, unlike those of mice.
- They stand aghast that a person can devote so much of their busy life to quiet conversations with these furry friends.
- They are nice furry mammals, which sit in the palm and can be stroked.
- The once furry brown creature now looked like a fuzzy, purple and green monster.
- It was covered with fluffy, furry pink stuffed animals that had bright pink gems for eyes.
- She was wearing a furry waistcoat and odd, low-slung baggy trousers, but the most interesting thing was her bottom.
- You need them spaced at intervals of about 2m, with the baited ends placed across the routes used by your furry friends.
- The range of outfits for our smaller, furry companions seems totally limited.
- Besides, a better celebration is some quiet time at home with the wife and the two furry children.
- They can't be made into posh burgers, they can't be kept as pets, and they can't be made into nice furry coats like mink can.
- It delivers 7,000 furry friends to seven hospitals in the area each year.
- It was made of a soft furry material, creamish white. Oh how she had admired that bag!
- Otherwise, what happens is that the edges become all fluffy and furry and the potatoes absorb too much water.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.