In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Instead of a space-consuming bed, a folded futon mattress with a blanket and two pillows stood near the table, leaning against the wall.
- Nadia woke with a jolt as she rolled off the futon.
- They walked upstairs and Shannon got out sheets and a pillow for the futon in the guest bedroom.
- She rolled off of the futon that Richard slept on and stood up.
- On the west side of the room, bedding, sheets, blankets, and pillows served as a futon.
- Stephen sat across from Olivia on the futon with his hands folded on his lap, starring at her with what Adrian would later describe as reverence.
- Also in the past few weeks I attended Abi & David's wedding which was bi-lingual (kinda like being at Eurovision) and have stayed at various houses on sofas, futons, floors and camp beds!
- A storage compartment for futons and bed linens is built into the upstairs floor.
- Other parents sleep next to their infants on bamboo or straw mats or on futons (as in Japan).
- The only furnishing visible were a table and chair, and a futon rolled up in one corner.
- We roll off the futon and onto the straw mats, which are cool and ribbed in tight weave and burn our skin in what look like stratified splotches in the glare of a turquoise lava lamp.
- Rubbing her blue eyes, Nanashi finally rolled off her futon, letting a deep yawn escape as she did.
- Seats are removed and replaced with a futon or mattress for the flights.
- There was little need for furniture, his futon, a small writing desk, a low table with cushions, and his dressers and wardrobes.
- Happy that she indeed looked like a normal person sleeping, he himself laid upon his futon, rolling onto his right side, facing away from her.
- Meaning we make up our own futons at night and roll them away neatly in the morning.
- As I was folding up the futon this morning I looked over to see Mike making off with my cell phone in his mouth.
- There where a small ground level table and two futons rolled out on the wooden floor.
- Prized for being both firm and supple, the Airflex features crimped coil innersprings that allow it to be folded over like a futon.
- She also explained Hurrion furniture was basic, their beds comparable to oriental futons, a thin mattress on a sturdy portable cot.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.