In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gallo de pelea masculinogallo de riña masculino América del Sur
- One review of surviving 1828 materials claims that ‘his matrimonial affairs, his profanity, his gamecocks and race horses, his duels and brawls, were the subject of merciless campaign propaganda’.
- In the novel's second part, when she is sold off to a North Carolina slaver, she is able to pass on her father's narrative to her son, an accomplished gamecock trainer, who does the same with his children.
- Birds bred from proven winners command higher prices, but most gamefowl sell for between $150 and $200 apiece.
- A ferocious blood-sport, probably introduced by the Romans, in which intensively trained gamecocks with metal or bone spurs slipped over their natural ones were set to fight, usually to the death, on a stage in a circular pit.
- His exaggerated body movements and words remind me of a gamecock.
- The main gamefowl breeds are of the Aseel and Malay-type.
- You can legally own a gamecock in 18 states and visit a cockfight as a spectator in nine.
- Yet in the most furious bouts against the local greenfinches, with feathers ruffled and wings dropped like a gamecock, he continues singing his challenges.
- Poultry chicks and gamecocks entering Hawaii in this way skipped the regular agricultural inspections.
- These are considered separate breeds and fit in a larger category of gamefowl that include: Yamato Gunkei and Chibi.
- ALMOST 100 birds were on show when Holcombe Old English Game Fowl Club held its annual gamecock show in Ramsbottom.
- In other words, the gamecock sparring match is conducted in rounds with rest periods between rounds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.