In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Meiosis is the process by which diploid organisms produce haploid gametes capable of sexual reproduction.
- Once within the gonads, the germ cells differentiate as either male or female gametes.
- I assume that each new diploid individual results from the random fusion of a male and a female gamete and that its gender is independent of its autosomal genes.
- This virus does not integrate into the fly chromosomes and is only vertically transmitted through male and female gametes.
- Zygotic embryogenesis in animals and plants starts with the fusion of the haploid female and male gametes, giving rise to a diploid zygote.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.