In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This has a strong gamey, almost liverlike flavour, which I love.
- All this combines to produce a mutton with a unique flavour which is stronger and faintly gamey compared with lowland mutton.
- It is slightly gamey, full of flavour and much tastier than the haddock I usually have.
- It does taste a little stronger than the farmed variety, which is very similar to chicken, but it is not as gamey and strong as hare.
- The first element we sampled was an incredibly tender lamb chop, cooked so that the very real, slightly gamy flavour of the meat came through.
- It had the sort of sweetness and paste-like mouth-feel of processed pate, and totally lacked the gamey depth of flavour that one expects from pheasant.
- I was relieved that they'd run out of the intriguing-sounding tenderloin of venison in a sauce of juniper berries, gin and cream, because gamey meat was too reminiscent of the animals circling the track below us.
- One of the best ways to cook grouse to appreciate its fresh gamey flavour is to remove the breasts and pan-fry them.
- The flavour is pleasantly strong and gamey, robust enough to stand up against some powerful sauces, thus the black peppercorns in this one.
- The venison fillets were properly gamy without being tough, and rolled on the outside with a tasteful dusting of black-trumpet mushrooms.
- The juices of the braised blade of beef were almost black with deepness and the meat was strong and gamey.
- As with Fiona's beautifully pink lamb, my deeply gamey venison was cooked exactly the way I had asked.
- When you buy them, don't be put off by the gamey smell and their dark appearance - the meat is naturally dark and they have a strong smell, but it should not make you recoil in disgust.
- A leg of the rabbit was one of the trio - this had the strongest gamey flavour.
- But we've found that if badger is really fresh and is soaked in milk then it's nowhere near as gamey and strong.
- Also occupying the plate were little pearl onions, which were great, though they had a pungent, gamey flavour to them.
- The fatty, gamy meat balances the sweetness of the sauce, and the entire dish is a guilty pleasure.
- Free-range pork is gamey, sweet, tender with just a hint of kidney flavour.
- The lightly gamey white meat gave way to deeper flavours when you chewed the bone, and the winter theme continued with a sprinkling of cabbage and the mushroomy pasta.
- They knew, the cooks of those days, that venison was a rich and gamey meat which needed tempering.
- Slowly the gamy past of a girl from a Dutch village becomes clear, a past amid the Amsterdam docks, where Dutch Puritanism is overwhelmed by the very smells of the spices being unloaded from ships that have come from the Indies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.