In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1apartamento en el sótano o planta baja con jardín
- I walked through the front door of her garden flat, gazing closely at paintings, photographs, books, manuscripts and so on.
- They're a typical Shanghai family and their comfortable new home is a ground floor garden flat in a typical new Minhang residential complex with large communal spaces.
- She loves London enough to own a garden flat in Notting Hill Gate.
- Offers over #235,000 are invited for the ground floor flat and #240,000 for the lower ground and garden flats.
- I have a friend who, at 55, tired of devoting herself to good works and family in the country, carefully chose a garden flat in which she could stay even if she got shaky on her pins, and moved into London to have some fun.
- We bought a two-bed garden flat barely two minutes’ walk away.
- We are eternally grateful to our neighbours, for making available their garden flat which had been purpose-built for a disabled person to live in.
- So it was no coincidence that the magnificent Edinburgh garden flat - within easy reach of the West End and Princes Street - featured last week belonged to the papers' editorial director, John, a former editor of Scotland On Sunday.
- Offers in excess of #575,000 are invited for the main house, and in excess of #175,000 for the garden flat.
- When I was growing up in West London, there was a tanned and balding gay man in the garden flat on one side, who put bottleglass swirled panels into his kitchen leaded windows.
- ‘We're worried of what might happen when you ride into the unknown and, since we have the garden flat that isn't occupied at the moment we want you to stay,’ she rambled on, hoping her words made sense to the other girl.
- The house has four bedrooms as well as an additional adjoining garden flat which has its own kitchen, sitting room and three bedrooms.
- The tenants in her lovely one-bed garden flat in north London are moving out in September.
- Overnight, he fled with his family to the British High Commission here after an unknown gang tried to break into his garden flat.
- Here's your chance to rent a garden flat which has been stylishly renovated yet retains its character feel.
- The entrance to the mews or garden flat is from the lane behind the main house, and it has the appearance of a country cottage.
- Alex wandered over to the garden flat and briefly paused by the door before knocking on it.
- The garden flat, agents say, could be sold for up to £300,000, and the first-floor flat for £275,000.
- A friend of mine whose offer had just been accepted for a north London garden flat came into work with a long face.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.