In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1técnico (del gas) masculinoingeniero (del gas) masculino Méxicoingeniera (del gas) femenino México
- He has instructed gas fitters on the requirements of the Gas Code
- It said it was vitally important consumers were not tempted to use non-registered gas fitters whose work is both potentially dangerous and illegal.
- The new qualification for home inspectors will be modelled on the Corgi system for gas fitters, which may explain why utility companies are entering the market.
- The media last week picked up on the story of a biology lecturer who has become a gas fitter because the pay is better.
- It's understandable - a bad gas fitter could kill you, a bad lawyer can't.
- He is one of two RAE plumbers and gas fitters working flat out with the Operation's Military Engineer Group, to establish a camp for 2000 military and police personnel at the previously dormant Guadalcanal Beach Resort.
- The Sheffield-born son of a civil servant, he became a boiler-suited apprentice gas fitter by day and turned into Vance Arnold of the Avengers in a cool-dude at night playing rough city pubs.
- He said the HSE had been in touch with CORGI to ensure gas fitters were alerted to the dangers.
- But also now affected are those who have worked in occupations with lower exposure (so called secondary exposure), such as plumbers, gas fitters, and carpenters.
- The gas fitter from Nythe said: ‘The dog was in the middle of the road, it could have been killed.’
- A rogue gas fitter was given a community service order yesterday after he pleaded guilty to carrying out work when he had been banned by the Health and Safety Executive.
- I work as a gas fitter for Transco and the delay has cost me two hours of lost work.
- Born the son of a scaffolder and housewife in the Springburn area of Glasgow, he left St Mungo's Academy at 15 without even one O-level and became an apprentice gas fitter in Govan.
- They were learning how to become gas fitters and they wanted to set up their own companies.
- He was arrested after police received complaints from women about sexually-explicit remarks and behaviour allegedly made by the gas fitter during appointments.
- She said: ‘We prosecute quite a few gas fitters who are not Corgi-registered and the industry is always saying the penalties aren't severe enough.
- The next day, he posed some difficult questions to the gas fitter and the ‘emanation’ answered in a way that convinced him she knew far more about the subject than he did.
- His decision to become a gas fitter was prompted by a chance conversation with the man who fitted his boiler - who, it emerged, was earning much more than the academic.
- Huntley's father, Kevin, was an apprentice gas fitter while his mother, Lynda, was employed in a printing works.
- Bremer, a plumber and gas fitter, built the first British four-wheeled petrol-engined motorcar.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.