- The expression ‘a Gascon promise’ is only ever used ironically.
- Later patriotic estimates had 20,000 Scots vanquishing 100,000 English: the true figures were probably nearer 8,000 to 24,000-many of the latter being Welsh or Gascon.
- Then, unless you're a Gascon peasant with a farmyard full of ducks and pigs, the shopping alone is going to eat into your house-in - France fund, not to mention occupy you for a good day.
- Good Gascon whites are essential summer swiggers as their vibrant, citrussy, herby fruit goes well with or without food.
- But did they pretend to naval power beyond such dictates, or occasionally commandeering the resources of English merchants trading with Scandinavian, Flemish, or, later, Gascon ports?
- At that point, the new English king, Edward III, was in no position to stake his own claim through his French mother, Isabella, but in 1337, when the Gascon situation had deteriorated further, he did so.
- Edward I took his lions with him - during his progress through his Gascon domains in 1289 one of his lions killed a horse belonging to one Ernaud Purpoynter of Oloron-Ste-Marie in the Pyrenees, who was also duly compensated.
- The story begins in the Gascon village of Bern in 1625 with Dogtanian starting his journey to Paris to get into the academy.
- He journeyed to fight for her, but when he returned, she was wedded to a petty Gascon squire, who had done nothing for her!
- As well as the twice weekly markets this quaint small traditional Gascon town offers bars and restaurants and shops within walking distance.
- There's a stirring moment, very well choreographed by Christopher Bruce, when we first see the Gascon cadets fencing and fighting like immaculate toy soldiers.
- Basque and Béarnais were spoken in the extreme south, but the nasal Gascon accent of much of the south-west was recognizably the langue d' oil of northern France.
- Family connection and military prowess ensured his appointment as marshal, but his Gascon temperament did not make him a comfortable relative.
- Each winter, numerous all year outdoor farming systems bear witness to the fact that all the Gascon herds require is an area of land which is naturally protected from the prevailing winds.