In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
nombrePlural gateaux, Plural gateaus
1pastel masculinotorta femenino América Latinatarta femenino España
- To assemble the gateau: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- The meeting ended on a festive note with lots of Christmas goodies to tuck into such as cocktail sausages, mince pies, Christmas gateaux and much more.
- In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, tennis cakes, like other cakes and gateaux of the time, were very elaborate; one bakery textbook of the period gave 29 schemes for decorating the top of tennis cakes.
- Desserts cost £2.95 and featured home-made puddings, gateaux and ice creams.
- The chocolate and mandarin gateau with cream for Ann was not bad but had clearly been in a refrigerator.
- I've lost the recipe for our family's secret chocolate gateaux, but I can tell you it contained natural yoghurt and coffee.
- Customers at neighbouring tables sampling carrot cake, gateaux and chocolate fudge cake with cream seemed to be no better off than us.
- Still, if you were looking for something exotic, there were lip-smacking delights that tempted guests to go in for a second helping: Chocolate duet tart, pineapple gateaux, fresh fruit salad and two varieties of ice cream.
- Ignoring the meringues, cakes and biscuits I tried chocolate gateaux.
- Other culinary attractions are mango mousse gateaux, watermelon mousse gateaux and Hungarian gateaux.
- As it was afternoon most customers were eating scones and gateaux.
- The cassata, which should be a ricotta-based gateau with candied fruit chocolate and pistachio nuts, fell well short of the standards set by some of the main courses, and seemed to be more bland ricotta than anything else.
- The pair will conduct three cooking shows each day, and some of the taste sensations they'll be creating include olive, orange and macadamia salad, macadamia, banana and chocolate gateaux and pork, ginger and apple.
- I took out a slice of chocolate gateau that was the left over of yesterday's dessert.
- Cakes and gateaux ranged from flapjack to fresh apple pie.
- Sandwiches, cakes, fruit tarts and gateaux were attractively displayed.
- Having loosened us up with free champagne, the staff are now serving lunch: a light Thai chicken salad followed by a supreme of salmon, then gateaux & cream.
- To fill a corner, I had the choice of strawberry, lemon or fruits of the forest gateaux.
- We scrutinised the range of gateaux, tarts and cakes.
- The classic tarte pommes is immaculate and the chocolate gateaux might well be the best cake you can buy in Glasgow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.