In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(residential development/community) cerrado(residential development/community) vallado
- The streets of New York are full of people from all walks, races, creeds, colors; they are the antithesis of a gated sprawling suburban development.
- We start with a gated road tarmac warm up to find a steep climb up the west flank of the valley.
- A dimension where everyone lives in climate controlled gated estates and they don't like lost midwestern lunatics.
- Lately, the gated property has become a free-for-all, with animals and children hanging out on the site.
- That fire, which has destroyed 13 homes since it began Saturday, was burning dangerously close to a gated community of million-dollar mansions in Los Angeles' Chatsworth section.
- Leave the Pennine Way at the road and turn right, following the road downhill for about half a mile until a gated track is reached on the right.
- Yet all too often, roads remain gated well into the spring ski season - even when they're dry and driveable.
- Turn right then left along the adjoining gated path to reach the B road again.
- You may live in a gated community that doesn't welcome a lot of traffic.
- Whilst gated communities may indeed be more integrated within, gates can act as barriers to social interaction between communities.
- The entrance to the tunnel was gated off six years ago because of vandalism but the gate itself was subsequently vandalised and had to be replaced in 2001.
- The City adopted a security access restrictions policy in 2003 that demanded gated communities apply to have their boom gates legalised based on a set of stringent criteria.
- We're living in an era of gated apartment blocks and lots of rental accommodation.
- Affluent suburbanites create gated enclosures not to pursue profit (of course property values play a role) but in the name of community.
- The roads and pavements of these cul-de-sacs are quasi-private places, gated communities without gates.
- To contribute to this atmosphere there will be food vendors, a gated area to prevent the crawlers and walkers from diving into the duck pond, and volunteers on hand to watch the exit and keep an eye out for scraped knees.
- He claims the development plans would scoop out a lot of the woods and natural habitat for detention ponds to control flooding in a gated development of million-dollar homes.
- Expect to pay maintenance fees, which include care of the lawns, grounds, pools, pest control and gate attendant if the property is in a gated community.
- And then you turn off the main road, and are in another, private world of gated compounds ringed by eroding mud-brick walls.
- Is there a hidden agenda here to have the area gated and restricted to residents only so they can control it as an extension of their property?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.