In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mesa de alas abatibles femenino
- The Philadelphia walnut gateleg table dates from about 1710.
- It would be a double gateleg table, I decided, partly as a tribute to an elegant, classic piece of furniture and partly as a way to have both a rectangular and a round table.
- The origin of the gateleg table is difficult to pinpoint.
- In this room New England Chippendale chairs surround a William and Mary gateleg table set with English creamware plates made between 1785 and 1790 and Prattware dishes and a tea set of about 1800.
- Despite uncertainty about the maker, this table represents one of the few well-documented Philadelphia gateleg tables.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.