In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He concludes that he was fundamentally an ‘aesthete,’ who moved from Trotskyism to Gaullism but always remained ‘his own man.’
- But de Gaulle already had a well-developed view of history by the time he arrived in London, and Gaullism resulted from the way he interpreted the events of 1940 in the light of his longer-term understanding of France's history.
- Across the continent, Gaullism was clearly on the rise at the end of the 1990's.
- The old political and geographical divides between left and right, which Gaullism had effaced, also reappeared clearly.
- His rediscovered Gaullism was one of the forces driving wavering Labour backbenchers into the lobbies to support the Prime Minister.
- Like Gaullism in France, Communism in Italy had been excluded from the stabilisation of the post-1945 regime, forming an opposition in waiting, with a mass following, undiscredited by the degeneration of the system.
- Does Gaullism, a tempered nationalism adapted to the late twentieth century, have any significance beyond the borders of France?
- His forceful opposition to the war caused renewed tensions and confirmed the Gaullism that is the bedrock of his political soul.
- Now, Gaullism is dissolving and the natural currents of French politics are returning.
- He offered something approaching an American Gaullism - not a vision, but his own persona.
- I doubt this is anything more than a bargaining ploy - all that stuff is too much wrapped up with embarrassing Gaullism and La Republique and those diagonal tricoloured sashes that French mayors wear to appeal to a modern European.
- The politics of Gaullism, which has dominated French conservative political life since the war, is not mentioned in the entire charter.
- Certainly, Gaullism and Communism were for all practical purposes extinct.
- They regard his European course as an attack on French sovereignty and the traditions of Gaullism.
- The dominant ideologies were less statist Gaullism or statist socialism but a liberalism that had had a poor track record in France since the Revolution but that now penetrated the thinking of all the major parties.
- Order had been restored with the strenuous efforts of the Stalinists, but de Gaulle, Gaullism, and Stalinism had been severely shaken.
- Circumstances, though, made it more important for de Gaulle that the nationalist principles of Gaullism be observed.
- As President, perhaps his biggest achievement was to ensure that the Fifth Republic, and indeed Gaullism, could survive without de Gaulle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.