In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pastor alemán masculinoovejero alemán masculino Cono Surperro (de) policía masculinopolicial masculino Chile
- He was considering raising a motion at council to require certain breeds to be muzzled while in public, including Dobermans, German shepherds, pit bulls, and bull terriers.
- The force has up to 35 dogs at any one time including collies, Labradors and German shepherds.
- She walked past cages holding dignified German shepherds, alert Dobermans, sleek Labrador and beautiful Golden Retrievers.
- Pendle has six German shepherd dogs, three springer spaniels and a Labrador, all trained to find either humans or illegal substances.
- The dog trainer, who has worked with both Rottweilers and German shepherds for the army and police forces, insisted they were not inherently dangerous animals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.