In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Emulating the old masters, he used tempera and oil over gesso on wood, then covered the surface with transparent glaze.
- She pays great attention to the surface texture of her paintings, working primarily with gesso, acrylic and tempera.
- To make them, Gissler first builds up layer upon smooth layer of gesso on a thick wood panel, achieving a dense, glassy surface.
- By the fifteenth century, many Western artists were using it in frescoes or in gesso on wood panel paintings.
- Executed in egg tempera and gesso on panel rather than the acrylics and oils for which the artist is best known, these new paintings exhibit a sensual luminosity not previously seen in his work.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.