In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- That was a thick baguette, holed out and stuffed with ham, cheese, gherkins, parsley, cream cheese and boiled eggs, all chopped up.
- Serve the steaks on a plate, place an onion ring on each of them and fill it with peppers, parsley and gherkins.
- Bring to the boil and when it thickens add a nice spoon of good hot mustard and finish the sauce off with chopped gherkins if you like and some capers.
- When served with sliced charcuterie, gherkins, olives and bread, this is one thing I would rather eat than almost anything else.
- Serve with salad, gherkins and cold sliced cured meats and ham.
- They use the real gherkins, not just ordinary cucumbers.
- Dill and gherkins seem to cut the richness of oily fish such as salmon, and make a good complement to hot-smoked salmon.
- For home-made tartare sauce, add some finely chopped parsley, capers and gherkins.
- Serve as a starter or party opener with dishes of green and black olives, gherkins, a dip with potato chips and a glass of chilled dry Muscat.
- Worryingly, he tries to enter a debate on cucumbers and gherkins, which is the sort of discussion we know just ends in tears.
- A good Saturday lunch with toast, gherkins and fat black olives.
- For the tartare sauce, place the gherkins, egg white and capers in a bowl.
- The gherkins, dills and cornichons are used almost exclusively for pickles.
- You should be able to see ingredients like gherkins and capers in tartare sauce.
- Top with the sliced tomatoes, add more ketchup, then add the gherkins.
- Fresh cucumbers and gherkins, canned vegetables, and sunflower oil, exported within the fixed quotas, are exempt from custom duties.
- The bold Jamie adds them to his salsa verde, a kicking green sauce which he makes from parsley, mint, basil, anchovies, capers, garlic and chopped gherkins.
- To make the piccalilli, mix the gherkins, cauliflower (broken into very small florets), and red pepper.
- Then make up a tartare sauce of mayonnaise, horseradish, chopped capers, red onions, gherkins and chives, and get dunking.
- Over the past couple of weeks I've developed a penchant for quails eggs with mini gherkins, dipped in rock salt.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.