In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A keen historian he also spent considerable time searching for items of historical interest and even managed to locate a gibbet from an old gallows from which a young Irish lad was hung in 1832.
- His crimes discovered, he was sentenced to be hanged from a gibbet which he himself had designed.
- And the punishment was executed to perfection by the brave officer who pursued the blacks and killed some of them and captured the rest, to place them on the gallows and gibbets.
- Opinion was running hot and heavy, and gibbets, nooses, electric chairs and lethal injections were topics featuring prominently.
- As the three heretics walked to the gibbet, some young boys plunged sharp sticks through the cracks in the walkway.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.