In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- More than 40 new curators have been taken on, with experts in everything from Chinese painting to metalwork, taxidermy, armoury and gilding.
- The project, from the cutting of a thick strip of solid silver bullion to the final gilding, took almost five months to complete.
- With this in mind she was determined to completely remove all dirt and corrosion from the domes before the gilding began and pioneered a method to do so.
- The skills he acquired from Arthur would later become apparent, particularly in his gilding on glass.
- The dome restoration was made possible by two private gifts that funded all of the gold leaf used in the gilding as well as other parts of the restoration.
- Gold leaf used in gilding is made in much the same way.
- One way of gilding gingerbread was to paint it with egg white when hot and dab on the gold.
- His skill in applying color and gilding is remarkable, considering that the twenty-year-old had not completed a normal term of apprenticeship.
- It was like a step-by-step gilding demonstration straight from a Renaissance painting.
- As he found much was still in the developmental stage here, it gave him the welcome opportunity to try out some of his copied recipes for gilding and color-making.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.