In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We are also selling many gilets this autumn which allow people warmth with out the encumbrance of a jacket.
- From the inside pocket of his gilet he drew a black piece of cloth.
- Little denim waistcoats will soon be on the high street replacing the winter fake-fur gilet - great for layering with T-shirt or vintage-style top.
- Mrs Todd recommends a gilet, smart trousers and a T-shirt for chic and practical show wear.
- The obligatory items are a very, very long scarf and a suede sheepskin or canvas gilet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.