In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1clavel silvestre masculino
- Dianthus are known by numerous other names, including carnation, clove pink, cottage pink, gillyflower and pinks.
- Finally, and very much later, gilliflower became a name for flowers such as the white stock and the wallflower that, although sweetly scented, had no connection with the spice or the clove-pink.
- They said these flowers had been picked from places far away, where wild roses, gillyflowers and many unknown yellow wild flowers were often gathered by children and women to sell to those passing by.
- Then, as if to comfort him, a dove flew in at his window carrying in her mouth a sprig of gilliflowers.
- Apricots and gillyflowers, honey and wine are the least I can wish for my son and his beautiful new wife.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.