In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tela de algodón a cuadros
- Edith wore a sweet pink gingham dress with a white ruffle at the hem and a white apron.
- I thought my pink and white gingham check shirt was just the thing.
- It contained a four-poster bed with gingham curtains, a large rug, two large chairs, a bedside table, and a large bookshelf.
- The picnic table is spread with a red and whit gingham cloth.
- She has a red and white gingham dress and blond pigtails.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.