In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(baby, child)niña femeninonena femenino Río de la Platadon't cry, you're a big girl now — no llores, ya eres (una niña) grande
- stand up to him, you're a big girl now — hazle frente, ya eres grandecita
- girls' school — colegio de niñas
- don't ever do that again, my girl! — no vuelvas a hacer eso ¿me oyes?
- Beforehand, it was mandatory for both boys and girls to attend school to primary-school level.
- The female group approached the girls and demanded their mobile phones.
- There will be major parts for nine small children - seven girls and two boys, and minor parts for up to ten more.
- The report says that boys and girls attending school at the primary level is shrinking around the world.
- Some thought that boys got the short end of the stick and that their female teachers favored girls.
- It is not known whether the baby is a boy or a girl or whether the schoolgirl mother will be allowed to keep her child.
- The preparatory school caters for girls and boys aged three to 11 after which pupils move up to the senior school.
- The week's activities are suitable for boys and girls of primary school age.
- There is always plenty of variety at this camp for boys and girls of primary school age.
- There are hundreds of children, boys and girls, who live on the streets of Cape Town.
- This is a problem particular to boys, as most girls have the daily influence of females in their lives from which to learn.
- Games were held between the various schools, boys, girls and various mixed teams.
- Jim is married to Catherine and they have four children, three girls and one boy.
- The activity camp is open to boys and girls from senior infants to sixth class.
- The club hopes to have over 100 youngsters both boys and girls taking part.
- What then happens to efforts to increase female literacy and encourage girls to go to school?
- He believes it is unlikely, in the Western world, to result in a noticeable increase in either baby boys or girls.
- He and a female pedestrian comforted the girl at the roadside, and contacted the police.
- Infant girls are also outperforming boys in spelling and maths.
- Schools were segregated and male teachers were replaced by females at girls ' schools.
1.2(young woman)chica femeninomuchacha femeninoan English girl — una chica / muchacha inglesa
- In the minds of both males and females, girls dress provocatively to garner a certain reaction.
- The researchers argue that increasing concern about young girls reflects a change in social behaviour.
- In girls, the female hormones oestrogen and progesterone are produced in the ovaries.
- The writings of young teenage boys and girls in different refugee camps and occupied towns are the most moving part of the book.
- While sneaking out of work I met two young girls, around the ages fourteen and fifteen.
- In years gone by a young man and a young girl would meet and like what they saw and would start to go out with each other.
- Because the Burman traditionally do not date, it is difficult for young boys and girls to meet.
- In standardised school maths tests, teenage boys outscored girls 13 to one in the top grades.
- The girl was a female body builder who wanted max muscle at the cost of being very rude.
- We saw that, thanks to our experience of working with women and girls, we might have a unique contribution to make.
- Feminist psychologists have studied the experiences of women and girls in diverse social locations.
- It was set up by a former prostitute who helps the young girls and their babies.
- Local teenage girls walking their babies in strollers earned judgemental stares from the couple at a table next to me.
- The majority of my classes are attended by girls and women.
- Many teenage girls had babies, so it seemed normal to become a teenage mother.
- Here teenage boys and girls who dropped out after primary school learn useful skills.
- All teenagers - boys and girls - are invited to come along together with their parents.
- This broadcast has just been interrupted due to me letting in a couple of young teenage girls.
- Then, girls reach puberty before boys and so are more mature in their both their approach to learning and ability to learn.
- The only place for groups of young girls or boys to hang out is on the ground of the alleys just outside their homes.
2.1(daughter)hija femeninoniña femeninomy eldest/youngest girl — mi hija mayor/menor
- I have two little girls — tengo dos hijas / niñas pequeñas
- the Jones girls — las chicas / hijas de los Jones
- I have a lot of issues about my ex girlfriend and my little girl.
- They enjoyed a break away with their daughter Samantha and her twin girls Rebecca and Crystal.
- She has five grandchildren, her daughter's two girls and her son's three boys.
2.2informal (girlfriend, sweetheart)novia femeninochica femenino
- The worst moment was when I rang up one day to take out my daughter and my girl refused to let me see her, because of the mess that I was in.
- Coachman Tom and his girl Nance were due to marry when she left him for another.
2.3(friend, colleague)amiga femeninoshe's gone out with the girls — ha salido con las amigas
- the girls at the office — las chicas de la oficina
- before noun girl talk — conversaciones de mujeres
- The young servant girl had dealt with high class ladies all her life, the good and the bad.
- All I know is that the other slave girl should be interrogated to see if we can get some answers out of her.
- Elijah put away his weapon and exchanged glances with the Prince and the young slave girl.
- According to the police, he had been secretly baptized by a Gentile servant girl years before.
- She seemed almost oblivious to the pain that she had just caused the young slave girl.
- Nothing could change her or what she believed in, so unlike that young servant girl of hers.
- They saw a known vice girl lean into the open window of his car before she climbed in and Hurst drove off.
- In the arch of the doorway stood a guard gripping the arm of a dark slave girl.
- You see, a little over a century ago, I found this young slave girl wandering around the city.
- I remember her advice when I was learning the dance of a young Gipsy girl.
- Just yesterday, I was in a store that shall be nameless and got the bored Saturday girl routine.
- Last, twenty young slave girls dressed in saffron and silk shuffled in as silent as sewn dolls.
- We have also noted that trade in Hindu slave dancer girls contributed to development of western dances.
- He was such a nice lad at university, and there he was gleefully encouraging the undercover reporter girl to con the electorate.
- The story tells of peasant girl who falls in love with a nobleman, and the disastrous consequences of that love.
- I wasn't even a wife, and I certainly wasn't the hip, urban career girl I had been, either.
- A rather beautiful servant girl with dark wavy brown hair and hazel eyes came into the room.
- This Dutch peasant girl longed to compete in a skating race, but her family could barely afford food and she only had wooden skates.
- One of these nobles chooses to drift from the others to get to know this vibrant peasant girl.
- The queen turned to find a young servant girl with bright red hair and deep blue eyes.
2.4(employee)chica femeninomuchacha femeninocheckout girl — cajera femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.