In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is true that in some areas glaciers are retreating, but the venues for the Winter Olympics rely more on snow fields than glaciers.
- The widespread retreat is all the more notable because tropical mountain glaciers are old.
- There are glaciers, alpine mountains, sandy beaches - it's quite extraordinary.
- It is the land of lakes, glaciers and waterfalls shedding their endless charm forever.
- The site tracks the waxing and waning of snow cover, glaciers, sea ice, and ice shelves.
- How many people will still travel to the mountain if the glaciers are gone?
- The drier northern section is largely covered with ice caps while glaciers are common at the more humid southern end.
- It is a country dominated by high peaks and wide flat stretches of lava field, powerful waterfalls and creaking glaciers.
- Nowhere in the world would one find such a high concentration of huge mountains, peaks, glaciers and passes.
- We were rewarded next day with brilliant sunshine over a vista of glaciers, bergs, mountains and a sea so dazzling it seemed unreal.
- Ice sheets, glaciers and underground lakes and rivers carry the rest.
- Above us, waterfalls tumbled down the mountainside from glaciers that hung over the lip of high cols.
- He said the glaciers in the mountains of Europe now are crumbling due to global warming.
- As well, glaciers that supply the rivers with much of their water are melting and retreating faster.
- They had to cross the mountains, glaciers and snowfields to reach the whaling station on the other side.
- The moderately steep walk rewards you with wonderful views of the glacier and the mountains.
- Unlike the floating ice shelves, thinning glaciers contribute to global sea-level rise.
- He could see the snowy land in the distance followed by icy mountains and glaciers.
- Snow, glaciers and ice flows feed these large ice sheets in the colder months.
- The mountain range has 3,200 glaciers with hundreds of millions of cubic metres of snow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.