In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blade/metal/shoes) relucir(metal/blade/shoes) brillar(eyes/hair) brillar
- The sapphire seemed to gleam with an inner light of its own as it reflected the hot sunlight falling upon it.
- She follows the story with a burst of laughter, her eyes gleaming with pleasure.
- The single gleam of wickedness in his eyes was enough to chill her blood.
- Just there, in the hopeful gleam of your eye, and the gentle bow of your lip.
- Cleaned and polished until it gleamed in the harsh lights of the gym, it promised glory in an otherwise ugly world.
- An off-colored rock, gleaming near white in the gloom, was good for a slight scoot.
- A plump, rounded moon settled alongside the twinkling lights and gleamed observantly from its position in the sky.
- Leo smirked at me while his emerald eyes gleamed with mischief.
- His face has a slightly rakish quality to it, his eyes gleaming with charm, and cunning.
- A black, highly polished coach gleamed in the moonlight as its side door closed.
- And there, in the centre of the valley, gleaming so brightly it seems to possess an inner light of its own: The Crystal City.
- The leader gave a bit of ground, then held firm and grinned back; large, white fangs and rain-damped fur gleaming in the dim light.
- I'd rather sweat and curse over ten pages of something new than dry and polish one page until it's gleaming and ready to be put away.
- The young man held up his hands to show he was unarmed, but they continued towards him, the daggers gleaming in the flickering light.
- She caught his eye and he could almost swear that he saw a flash of mischief gleaming in hers.
- Yet something about her, perhaps the defined line of her chin, or the gleam of intelligence lurking in her dark eyes, told him that she knew.
- They were Indians, though I could see the light from the few lanterns gleaming off their white chests.
- The floors and banisters had been varnished and polished till they gleamed, the frames of paintings had received a thorough cleaning.
- His eyes gleamed with mischief and he took her hand in his and kissed it like in those 16th century movies.
- And so, after a full day of washing and dusting and cleaning and polishing until the house gleamed, it was my turn to be gossied up and smartened, ready for inspection.
- In front of them, several giant exhibition stands in black polished color gleamed in the flashing lights of green, white, yellow, and blue.
- The rich, dark, walnut surface gleamed like glass, the china and silver twinkling in the light cast from two huge candelabra.
- He made his way down the hallway, the lights gleaming even brighter, piercing through the void of space.
- I made the mistake of looking up at her, only to see that the smile on her face had grown, the twinkle in her eyes gleaming more brightly then ever.
- A gleam of something shot through his eyes, and I shrunk back in fear.
- Their copies gleam shiny black and perfect, with uncracked spines, uncreased pages, and a redesigned cover.
- The scales had been polished carefully and gleamed from the light of the torches on the walls.
- Krystal looked at him once, with disappointment gleaming wetly in her eyes.
- She smiled and leaned towards her guest with more than polite curiosity gleaming in her blue eyes.
- The huntress silently pulled out a small dagger from her waist; its blade gleamed in the flickering light.
- Their eyes were gleaming with relief and an overall feeling of gratitude.
- His eyes gleamed with mischief and Lily laughed despite her anger.
- She remained silent, her head held high and her eyes gleaming with anger.
- The soft grass they stood on was covered in sweet dew, the water gleaming and reflecting the light upon their faces.
- He lives in a posh, modern mid-rise, its lobby ablaze in polished surfaces that gleam like gold teeth.
- As it walked closer to the fire they could see white hair gleaming in the light.
- Her auburn hair, tinted gold, gleamed in the fluorescent light.
- The stars gleaming and moon shining lit my way to the secluded hill as the noise of everyone behind me faded.
- A light flickered, then a red flare seemed to gleam brightly.
- There was a gleam of triumph in Abigail's eyes now, and she pressed on.
- I looked at him, though still on the floor, his eyes were gleaming strangely with pride and amazement.
- The footwear radiated the sense of money, all polished and gleaming.
- They had brought down the old walnut writing desk from the loft and had polished it until it gleamed contentedly.
- As he looked at me, he flashed a seemingly perfect smile, his straight white teeth gleamed in the light.
- I woke up in a room filled with white and a bright light gleamed into my face.
- There was a large wooden desk, highly polished and gleaming like it had been soaked in oil, at the nether end of the room.
- A future as a domestic goddess will surely be mine - but in the meantime, my surfaces are gleaming, thank you very much.
- His armour was of the finest steel; smooth surfaced and gleaming in the rays of the morning sun.
- His eyes gleamed with an icy fury, adding to his grief.
- He creates a play of black and blue colours to set the backdrop and on this he places three boats, with bright lights gleaming from them.
- I've spent the entire day washing and polishing windows till they gleamed.
- A smile widened his mouth and his beautiful eyes gleamed with happiness. ‘I love you too, my darling.’
- All I ever wanted in life was to make them proud, to see them smiling at me, pride gleaming in their eyes.
- Silver metallic surfaces gleamed at him from every angle, a tangled heap of wires residing around five power ports in a row.
- His yellow eyes gleamed with pride of his humble stature.
- It's now as smooth and gleaming, and as ruddily glowing, as a freshly deforested Alpine slope at sunset.
- Smooth polished oak flooring gleamed in the afternoon light flooding in from the open windows.
- As the smoke glittered and gleamed, shining brilliantly, he had to shadow his eyes.
- But this gem was like all of those gems combined somehow, and it gleamed in the morning light, catching the sun's rays and casting them back at the poet.
- It unnerved him when she looked at him with fear gleaming in her eyes.
- Fear gleamed from his malachite eyes and choking his every breath.
- There everything looked shiny and new, gleaming with the polished metallic look of a classic car show.
- They moved to the front and sat attentively, hope gleaming in their eyes.
- The shade exactly matched her eyes as they gleamed with love and joy.
- A twinkle of amusement and excitement gleamed in his olive colored eyes.
1(on metal, water)reflejo masculinobrillo masculinoshe had an amused gleam in her eye — miraba con una chispa de picardía
- it's still just a gleam in his eye — aún no es más que una idea que lo ilusiona
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.