In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(shout/laugh) lleno de alegría(laugh/shout) lleno de júbilo literarioprivately, I was gleeful at his misfortune — en mi fuero interno me alegraba de su desgracia
- You've run with the pack in a gleeful stomp right on top of him.
- Granted, the novel isn't gleeful, but there's enough levity to entertain the idea of lasting love.
- You can almost hear, watching their avidly gleeful faces, the exhortations of the stage manager to look more joyful.
- Our curiosity was aroused by the gleeful squeals and ripples of bawdy laughter emanating from the crowd.
- She would spend hours in gleeful delight finding out new things.
- The idea was that the perennially gleeful blond would travel to Scotland to source scallops and langoustines.
- It's all there in plain sight, which is why the reporters are having such an easy, gleeful time digging it up.
- I felt like a gleeful kid after a particularly lucrative Halloween expedition, and enacted the self-same rituals.
- We collapsed with gleeful guffaws thinking it was our secret discovery and no way would our teacher know what we were on about.
- The result is an intricate, gleeful conversation between eras, ideas and characters.
- With a penetrable fourth wall, a spot of audience participation and plenty of gleeful nonsense, this is pantomime in all but dame.
- Even the enthusiastic and gleeful performances can't compensate for the utter lameness of it all.
- He then gave me a maliciously gleeful look and walked over to the wall again.
- Very gleeful when I think of it having to walk through all that dust!
- Other displays mix genres and media with almost gleeful abandon.
- I was especially gleeful because she was my primary school best friend.
- I feel like I have pulled one over on myself when I wasn't looking and I am gleeful.
- The joyous screams, the gleeful yelps, and a happy, wagging tail added life to the peaceful, gentle beach.
- Now we have some professionally gleeful all-purpose presenter.
- They were ambling joyfully, jumping, excited by the huge gleeful crowd.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.