In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Even the state's lack of glitzy metropolitan areas contributes to its appeal.
- She wore glitzy plastic bracelets around her wrists and cute smilies dangled from her ears.
- Too often the originality has been squeezed out of the shows, leaving a hollow, albeit glitzy, commercial juggernaut.
- Maybe I'll get to wear a fancy frock and go to a glitzy ceremony in LA.
- The weekend is downsized to being a jazzy, glitzy flamboyant festival.
- What a contrast it was to get back to our grotty hotel after such a glitzy day.
- The glitzy banner adorning the incomplete wall has four large Chinese characters.
- Optical showrooms have turned snazzy, and their interiors and exteriors glitzy.
- Its dubious merits and glitzy, vacuous plot aside, it is a film, on one level at least, about having everything and feeling nothing.
- So, despite all those glitzy hotels, it will be months before the destination as a whole feels remotely elegant.
- However, there's a lot more to staging a concert for 35,000 people than just conjuring up a glitzy stage.
- The supermarket, still in process of refurbishment, has re-opened its glitzy new coffee shop, so I took my lunch there.
- All tickets are booked, the glitzy hotel has been booked, and I will be flying up there this Friday, around mid day.
- Wear an embellished belt or glitzy cuffs with a plain knit or skirt, and use black to counterbalance an opulent shoe or bag.
- And she brought this glitzy top… Do you think a feather boa would look right?
- On the other hand, we see a different picture, in which youngsters go overboard about fashion and a glitzy life style.
- Many have been immortalised on film, from the glitzy hustle of Las Vegas to the wintry baroque of Prague.
- Want to know what is happening behind the scenes in the glitzy world of Bollywood and Hollywood?
- They are successful enough to switch their mobiles off at the weekend and prefer hanging out with good friends to glitzy bars and restaurants.
- If you're wondering where I am tonight, I'll be in my hometown's premiere glitzy theatre, living the dream here.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.