In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(shining)(face/cheeks) encendidothe glowing embers — las brasas
2(expressing praise)(account/report) elogioso(report/account) lleno de alabanzasin glowing terms — en términos elogiosos
- he paid her a glowing tribute — le rindió un caluroso homenaje
- A south Lakeland property developer has secured a prestigious award after earning glowing praise from its customers.
- The glowing report follows the damming inspection in November 1999 which said the school was failing to give its pupils an acceptable standard of education.
- A school in Greater Manchester has proved good things really do come in small packages after receiving a glowing report from education watchdogs.
- The crew of a York tour boat have earned glowing praise after they rushed to the rescue of a man who ended up in the River Ouse during an evening cruise.
- Young and old in Bolton welcomed a Royal visitor to town - and earned glowing praise from their VIP guest.
- The third of the trio had the soup, a minestrone and meatball, which was ‘not bad’ - hardly glowing praise.
- She is quick to defend the overt tone of praise in the glowing account of her experiences.
- A Whitefield primary school has earned special praise after a glowing Ofsted report was complemented by outstanding results.
- A Southend school is just months away from being removed from the Government's special measures register following a glowing inspection report.
- A Hampshire junior school has turned weakness into strength and won glowing praise from Ofsted inspectors.
- However, despite a glowing surveyor's report, there are still leaks, draughty windows, and an incredible amount to do to my little valley abode.
- As a blogger, by contrast, I almost invariably receive one of two reactions, glowing praise or a look of total incomprehension.
- Their previous Irish shows have earned massive critical praise, including a glowing review in the Irish Independent.
- A team of inspectors spent three days examining every aspect of the school and wrote a glowing report recognising its excellent teaching standards and visionary thinking.
- Their mantra was echoed in the glowing reports of the critics and guidebooks, all of which unanimously extolled the place's virtues in worryingly breathless prose.
- Inspectors have given Bedford School a glowing report.
- Council chiefs have pledged to work harder to improve social services, despite receiving a glowing report from Government.
- Their work and dedication to the parish was praised in glowing terms.
- In case you can't tell from my glowing praise, any comic lover, whatever your interests may be, would readily enjoy this series.
- James, who grew up in a house on Church Street, Bollington, set sail from Plymouth to Brisbane in search of a better life after hearing glowing reports of life Down Under.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.