In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Deciphering writing systems, whether the Etruscan alphabet or Zapotec glyphs, is comparable in complexity to cracking the genetic code.
- And there's this text, just sitting there, and it's clear as day, so distinct from the glyphs we've seen even at 100 B.C.
- As she did so, she noticed the glyph that decorated the center of the cross guard.
- ‘Apartment 1004,’ she said, reading the Hebrew glyphs.
- What they could not have known was that each of the defensive glyphs and runes had been designed to fail in a specific way, directing the explosive fury of the failing magical matrix outward, away from the Royal Hall.
- I even spent an afternoon studying a book devoted to drawings of various Goddess symbols and glyphs found on ancient artifacts.
- The mat is charged with odd symbols and glyphs arranged in a circle between two concentric rings.
- Schulman interprets the glyph as two Crescents of Soul interconnected via a Cross of Matter.
- Glowing glyphs appeared on the edges, in some archaic, unknown language.
- It especially rules women, as indicated by the glyph, which is the universal symbol for womankind.
- Basically, it's a series of implosions with glowing glyphs or runes.
- Because there are more than 4700 known glyphs - including almost 800 basic ones, of which some 400 are considered common - this has always been a lengthy and laborious task.
- Carefully consulting the book, he scrawled various glyphs and runes at certain points in the design.
- The glyph for Neptune is the symbol of a trident, which stands for rulership over the sea.
- The author renders the word tradition into a signifier of doubtful intentions, a glyph whose meaning has yet to be ascertained.
- He summoned the energies not just through the focus he wore about his neck, but also through the glyphs and foci embedded in the excessive number of protective wards he had placed around the balcony and tower.
- She took it lovingly, handling it so carefully, and read over the glyphs, the language of magic, several times.
- Hence the Celtic designs on Irish crosses that closely resembled Druidic glyphs or Haitian Voodoo rituals that fuse the worship of Catholic saints with that of African Loas.
- In addition to the pure luxury of the items in the tent, and the canvas itself, everything in the room crawled with magic symbols and glyphs.
- When they were first discovered, the glyphs in Mud Glyph Cave clearly resembled Southern Cult icons seen in the work of Mississippian peoples in the Southeast.
2(carved groove)glifo masculino
- According to glyphs carved on a stone altar, Yax K'uk Mo arrived at Copán on 8 February 427, five months after his coronation on 5 September 426.
3Informáticalogotipo masculinoglyph masculinoglifo masculino
- The empty boxes are just a matter of fonts lacking the diacritic glyphs - OK, that's just a residue of history.
- To get around them, senders have resorted to representing these words using other characters and punctuation as glyphs to create letter and word shapes that our smart eyes and brains can discern, but stupid junk mail filters can't.
- As I remarked, no font distinguishes the functions by consistent uses of these differently shaped glyphs.
- In April 1997, Xerox said that Palm, then owned by US Robotics, had infringed that patent when it released Graffiti, a series of ‘shorthand’ symbols drawn instead of real character glyphs.
- Topics covered are: fonts, size, color, leading, kerning, tracking, paragraph spacing and alignment, hyphenation and composition, glyphs and special characters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.