In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1portero masculinoportera femeninoguardameta femeninoarquero masculino América Latinaarquera femenino América Latinagolero masculino Cono Surgolera femenino Cono Sur
- In Gaelic football, goalkeepers will continue to use plastic tees.
- As he reached the penalty area he calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper.
- Last night it was much more haphazard, so much so that it ended with a goalkeeper scoring the winner.
- That must include 16 who are available to play, 14 outfield players and two goalkeepers.
- Solano clipped the ball past the isolated goalkeeper to score into an empty net.
- Excluding goalkeepers, what is the longest stretch of games a player has played without scoring for his own team?
- There have been some excellent goalkeepers in English football over the years.
- Even a training game goal is a personal defeat for the goalkeepers.
- Both sides started well with play flowing up and down the pitch and shots on both goals testing the goalkeepers.
- The Italian goalkeeper had no chance with the first two goals but he might have done better with the third.
- He argues that because goalkeepers can handle the ball in the penalty area, they therefore should not be allowed to kick the ball outside of it.
- He generates great power and bend on the ball which always deceives goalkeepers.
- Goals are scored by throwing the ball past the opposing goalkeeper into the net.
- My favourite used to be the goalkeepers who caught the ball under the crossbar and then managed to kick it out from the edge of the box.
- He is also targeting a senior goalkeeper and has a few names on his short-list to consider.
- It is worth a risk because the goalkeeper was out of his goal and it worked.
- He's the best goalkeeper and has played in goal for a long time and not let us down.
- The goalkeepers were under such pressure, no wonder they conceded goals.
- I understand that the goalkeepers are the only players allowed to handle the ball.
- I think if we are relying on goalkeepers scoring goals then I won't be long in this business.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.