In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1poste de la portería masculinopalo de la portería masculinoposte del arco masculino América Latinapalo del arco masculino América Latina
- Facilities will include a platform for skateboarders, and goalposts and basketball hoops.
- There, the burning of suits and chaining naked team-mates to goalposts was de rigueur.
- A goal, worth three points, is scored when the sliotar is played by either team over the goalline between the goalposts and under the crossbar.
- The ball came off the goalpost and Torsten Frings' arm stopped it going over the line.
- And inside, the little red pieces of tape on the goalposts were blowing in opposite directions.
- When I first came to the club there wasn't a training ground and no-one would dare come to training in a jumper, as they would be used for goalposts!
- Goals are scored when the ball is kicked through goalposts or carried into the end zone.
- Later, he would walk on the crossbar between goalposts and try to grab the football from referees.
- If LSU kicks off, his job on the coverage unit is to line up square with the right goalpost and plug the middle.
- It flew at an alarming rate towards the goal, hit the goalpost, and rebounded off it straight back at me.
- The distance between the goals and the goalposts shall be decided upon by the Captains of the sides playing.
- In celebration, students tore down the goalposts, and the chancellor canceled Monday classes.
- It is played on the streets of Soweto with tin cans for goalposts.
- During the game, his head twitches, his arms flail away, hitting his pads and file goalposts with his stick.
- The first few games that were played, they actually put broomsticks up as the goalposts and had washing baskets.
- Meanwhile a forlorn figure leant against a goalpost long after the finish.
- Did you see T.O. get up last night after his touchdown to dunk the ball through the goalpost?
- What would have become of the Eagles if Akers' kick had gone flying wide of the goalpost?
- The same player rocked Carlow with a thunderous shot off the goalpost for a spectacular goal to put Port ahead for the first time after 12 minutes.
- One time after practice, Leftwich stood at his own 30 and hit the goalpost on the fly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.