In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Dios masculinoGod be with you — vaya (usted) con Dios anticuado
- God helps those who / as help themselves — ayúdate que Dios te ayudará
1.2God! — ¡Dios (santo)!
- God Almighty! — ¡bendito sea Dios!
- God, I was terrified! — ¡Dios / Jesús, qué miedo pasé!
- oh, God, I don't know! — ¡y yo qué sé!
- by God, I'll make him do it! — ¡como que me llamo Ana (or Carlos etc.) que lo va a hacer!
- dear God! — ¡Dios mío!
- dear God, please let them be all right! — Dios mío, que no les pase nada
- my God, he's got a nerve! — ¡Dios, qué cara tiene!
- I wish to God I hadn't come — ojalá no hubiera venido
- I hope to God it never happens — Dios quiera que nunca suceda
- would to God that I had never met her — ¡maldita sea la hora en que la conocí!
2god(deity, idol)dios masculinonow he's boss, he's become a little tin god — ahora que es director se ha convertido en un pequeño dictador
- The gracious God allowed Adam and Eve to live, though he banished them from the Garden of Eden.
- She asks the professor if he believes that there is a God who created the Universe and guides His creation.
- She was advised to pray to the God of the Christians, who has power over all spirits.
- Boris goes to his death knowing that there is a God and that the universe has a meaning.
- However, the Christian belief is that God created a man to have sex with a woman.
- What if the God at issue is the Trinitarian God of Christian worship and theology?
- Its difficult for us to neatly categorise Jesus, this love of God, as a Christian or a Jew.
- The same God who sent ravens to feed his prophet had used the most unlikely person in the town to meet our need.
- For in order to save us in such a way as to satisfy himself, God through Christ substituted himself for us.
- Our boldness should proclaim the mercy of God in Christ, even as it condemns evil in the world around us.
- From moral relativism to denying the unique moral authority of God was a short step.
- We have a place in the universe God has created, and we are fully subject to its processes.
- Even the Christian God at times would come into my dreams and makes himself known.
- Both had wide platforms built around them in stone and mud, with three images of entwined snake gods embedded in the mud, close to the tree trunks.
- Never the less she saw on the front of the golden band it was one of the dragon god's symbols.
- Yeah but this still doesn't answer the origin of the animal gods.
- I suppose that he is now in a place that his Christian God feels is his just retirement.
- It is vital that the churches know God through Christ and the gospel of grace.
- Christianity is what God has done for man in seeking him and reaching down to help him.
- You're likely to by killed by a pant-dampening array of ferocious animal gods.
- All of us are sinful, we have all done wrong and this separates us from our creator God.
- Worshipping the true God is an authentic act of resistance to all forms of idolatry.
- A mountain is god, a river is god, and animals have natural and supernatural values.
- Nanak says God is the Creator and He Himself explains His Command to the true devotees.
- In God's providence he had the opportunity to do something about this that July.
3gods pluralTeatrothe gods — el gallinero
- I feel robbed at not having the chance of sitting in the gods humming along with the line quoted below.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.