In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fiebre del oro femenino
- In the 1850s, the nation's independence became vulnerable as a result of the gold rush in California.
- In December, 1841, they both crossed to Victoria on the Australian mainland to join the gold rush.
- The California gold rush prompted a frenzied mass movement of people toward the Sierra Nevada.
- They are largely of European descent, many having settled there on the way to the California gold rush.
- The discovery of place gold set off the California gold rush of 1849 and the rush to the Klondike in 1897.
- Melbourne's foundations were built on a gold rush and the Australian city has now delivered another one.
- Times where hard, and the report sparked a gold rush to the Klondike where a few got rich and most did not.
- Martin had been born in Bendigo but was moved west when his father followed the gold rush.
- The California gold rush in the 1840s renewed interest in travel between the oceans.
- He had drifted to California in time for the gold rush, where he had applied an individual business sense to the problem of becoming seriously rich.
- It was the age of the gold rush from the Klondike to Australia.
- I was struck by how little I'd ever known about the Klondike gold rush.
- Serious over-hunting occurred in parts of the territory at least as early as the Klondike gold rush in 1898.
- In early 1897, news of the Klondike gold strike reached the United States and a new gold rush was under way.
- Even the miners of the gold rush held him in deepest respect.
- It was built in the 1870s at the tail end of the gold rush.
- Holliday's other message is that the California gold rush was the largest mass migration of people in the history of the world.
- The play examines the cause and consequences of a curse placed on a group of goldfield inhabitants during the gold rush of the 1850s.
- News of the discovery spread rapidly, and a major gold rush was on.
- On the other hand, from early colonial times, and certainly from the gold rush, Australia was also known for its self-made men of wealth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.