In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the gold standard — el patrón oro
- The British thereby laid the basis for what was to become the world monetary system based on the gold standard and bank notes.
- An international financial system based on the gold standard emerged during the nineteenth century.
- Research in recent years has greatly revised our understanding of the origins of the classical gold standard.
- National currencies based on the gold standard were thought to be uniform, leading toward a global monetary standard.
- The classic gold standard was a monetary regime constructed to preserve financial and economic stability.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.