In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1niño mimado masculino
- Spain's two golden boys scored the key goals that helped their nation bury the demons of their World Cup past.
- It was reminiscent of two years earlier when Andy Hornby, the golden boy who heads the group's retail banking division, was offered the job as Boots chief executive.
- ‘I was always the young kid, the golden boy in South Africa who grew up winning,’ he has said.
- He dispensed with three of the four members of his backline after the opening day defeat at the hands of Greece and has re-invigorated Rui Costa, one of the country's golden boys, by utilising him as substitute.
- There have already been incidents which threaten to tarnish the corporate sponsors' affection for their new golden boy.
- After all, with those looks and physique, there had to a place for the golden boy on the silver screen.
- I'm the golden boy and nothing I do is wrong, yet my younger siblings are always in the dog house and being told to take a leaf out of my book.
- The players laughed at the thought of their golden boy being found hungover in reception.
- Particle physics was the world of the golden boys (girls were rare) from the late 1930s onwards.
- The golden boy of Welsh rugby has clearly learned some lessons after getting into hot water with his candid book and has spoken on a subject that is totally and utterly uncontroversial.
- The golden boy of British dance obviously adores his own mother, who naturally wanted only the best for him when he was growing up in Wimbledon.
- We were golden boys in an era when things like rock-n-roll and television were in their infancy.
- His poor performances in Euro 2004 have further damaged the reputation of the former golden boy of English football.
- It may have something to do with the low-carbohydrate diet but the former golden boy of Scottish technology is more animated than he has been for years.
- From being the golden boy of British tennis he was faced with the prospect of surgery and, possibly, the end of his career.
- He was the golden boy, doing advertisements and endorsements, and we were full of high hopes.
- As a player, Wright had been one of the post-war era's golden boys.
- Finally, T on the Fringe ensures the music is pumped up all Festival long, with bold rambunctious offerings in the shape of slick rockers Muse and Scotland's own golden boys, Snow Patrol.
- The football superstar is now failing to score with the city's shoppers - forcing some stores to discontinue stocks of the former golden boy's merchandise.
- So where next for the once golden boy of South African rugby?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.