In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1niña mimada femeninoHollywood's golden girl — la niña mimada de Hollywood
- When she started out in tennis, she was hardly the golden girl.
- But that is the pressure that comes with being the golden girl of British athletics.
- She was a golden girl in her youth, having excelled academically and at sport.
- The one-time golden girl of British yachting has repaid a loan of £550,000 secured on her home in Berkshire two years ago.
- She was once the golden girl of gymnastics - now she is being investigated for fraud.
- It may be a decade since she stepped into designing, but Ritu Beri continues to be the golden girl of the Indian fashion scene.
- They are real golden girls, and they really improve the patient's quality of life.
- Dunst is a believable golden girl whose determination and temper have earned her a feisty reputation.
- Ellen Gandy is the golden girl of Beckenham Swimming Club after returning from the European Youth Olympics Festival with five top-spot medals.
- It transpired the one-time golden girl, who took the company from zero to an £18m success story with a personal salary of £250,000 plus princely dividends, was far from universally liked.
- The city newspaper devoted its entire front page to their golden girl.
- ‘Hello Jennifer Saunders,’ I said seeing the golden girl of comedy to my left.
- The golden girl of British swimming is appalled at City of York Council proposals which could see the Yearsley and Barbican pools shut as part of a leisure services shake-up.
- What's a Hollywood golden girl to do on a glorious sunny Friday afternoon in Sydney?
- Overlooking the fact that she was born in Portsmouth, if Glasgow does win the right to host the Commonwealth Games in 2014, then some of the credit will surely go to the golden girl of Scottish swimming.
- She was the golden girl of sport - attractive, bright, articulate and stylish, she seemed well positioned to make a fortune.
- No acting career has self-destructed quite as quickly as did this former golden girl's.
- The golden girl of Tinseltown was due to appear at WestQuay's Waterstone's bookshop to sign copies of her new autobiography.
- A few months on, and the golden girl's problems have got a whole lot worse.
- Yes, victory here would be a pertinent win for the British golden girl.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.