In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Sportpelota de golf feminine
- I could always hit a golf ball but I never really knew what the game was all about.
- The final test is to roll a golf ball in a number of directions across the green.
- A golfer badly slices a golf ball, which heads toward the rough, but then bounces off a tree and into the cup for a hole in one.
- Try standing at the other side of a golf ball the next time you're on the fairway; it opens up a whole new vista.
- I couldn't hit a golf ball without biting the collar of my shirt to keep my head in place.
- I raised my head to see him swing again and again and send the golf ball from the rough onto the fairway.
- If you don't care whether you lose a golf ball, you won't stay committed to the shot.
- No man alive could hit a golf ball as good as I hit it that whole week.
- Neighbours would use it for knocking a golf ball around.
- That golf hole is the reason the golf ball needs to be changed.
- He hadn't struck a golf ball for at least three years.
- Golf writer Matt Cross said if hit by a stray golf ball, the victim could sue the golfer.
- She glanced back down and saw that the red golf ball had indeed moved.
- A golf ball on average is a perfect sphere, but it does not fly like one.
- The measure of accuracy used in the present study for each golf shot was the distance in feet between the golf ball and the pin.
- He did become one of the first people to hit a golf ball in the new millennium by hitting a tee shot off his friend's patio shortly after midnight.
- It isn't a good bathing beach, but is much used for walking, including of dogs, and picnics and knocking the odd golf ball about.
- He has failed so far to deliver on the early promise of his professional career but he is undoubtedly a high-class striker of a golf ball.
- Gone are the days when the inside of a high-end golf ball included yards of rubber-band windings.
- Dawson believes what's got to be done is some form of regulation of the golf ball.
2British(on typewriter)bola de impresión feminineesfera de impresión femininebefore noun golf-ball typewriter — máquina de escribir a bola feminine
- I don't know the precise technical specifications of the IBM Selectric Composer at that date, nor the availability of custom golfballs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.