In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in Venice)góndola femenino
- Sightseers will be able to hire boats, resembling Venetian gondolas, to take trips on the canal.
- He was a larger-than-life character who went on to build a replica of Venice - including a Grand Canal, with gondolas - inside his new hotel, the Venetian.
- The Grand Canal adjoining the fountain, with gondolas and rowing boats afloat, was once the scene of many festivities and was called Petit-Venice (little Venice).
- On a warm night, in a gondola off the Grand Canal, he popped the question.
- She was bent over the bridge videoing a gondola as it floated down the canal.
- Its streets have turned into canals in which dugout canoes take the place of elegant gondolas.
- Successive displays chronicle the Greek trireme, perhaps the ultimate statement of rowing power, the Venetian gondola, the Thames wherry, wooden-hulled lifeboats and arctic whaleboats.
- I've never been to Tuscany, haven't floated down a canal in a Venetian gondola, nor thrown a coin into the Trevi Fountain.
- But, with the passing of years, gondolas on Windermere, Coniston, and Ullswater and steam trains to Lakeside have come to symbolize a bygone age of tranquillity.
- Of course, these podiums did not literally resemble the gondolas in the canals outside, except in very general terms - their sweeping curves and elevated tips.
- The Venetians will be following the route used by gondolas chosen by Charles II to escort his Royal barge in 1662 from Hampton Court to Whitehall.
- Instead of gondolas, there are magenta-coloured barges which transport tourists along a two-mile stretch of river, past the native cypresses and gaudy glass-fronted hotels.
- Another of the pictures from the mantelpiece shows her during that period, sailing on a gondola down the canals of Venice.
- Then the streets become calmer and you really notice the gondolas because all the delivery boats have finished making their rounds.
- We couldn't stay in northern Italy without a visit to Venice, that amazing city of canals, gondolas, bridges and churches.
- You have seen boats and gondolas floating in the lake.
- A handsome young man, perhaps a year or two older than me, stood at the stern of an Italian gondola made of a rich, dark wood.
- And when the sun sets, the moon shimmers as you board one of the many gondolas and ride along the canals of the ancients.
- Skipping around Covent Garden or taking a picnic in Hampstead, maybe even piloting a gondola down Regent's Canal!
- The Victorian steam yacht was originally designed in the form of a Venetian gondola and was first launched in 1859 on Coniston Water.
2(of airship) cabina femenino(of balloon) barquilla femenino(of balloon) cesta femenino
- And there's a gondola which is suspended from the crane, and I'm going to be getting in there.
- They have built gondolas for airships, flight simulators and floating offices, but Jim's boat posed a real challenge.
- In 1960, Air Force test pilot Joseph W. Kittinger Jr. stepped out of a balloon gondola at 102,800 feet and set the record for the world's highest skydive.
- Thus the total weight of the balloon, the air inside, the gondola, the fuel tanks (needed to heat the air inside the balloon), and the passengers is less than the weight of the air the balloon displaces.
- As they are clambering up the ropes hanging from the gondola, the balloon abruptly takes off again, leaving the men dangling.
3(cable car)(de teleférico) cabina femenino
- The gondola takes visitors on a twelve-minute ride up the mountain high above the lake.
- Hit the peaks by gondola or cable car and ride and slide to the bottom.
- It is also established as the best place in the world to go mountain biking, largely because it has the longest vertical descent in North America, and because all the gondolas and ski lifts can also take bikes.
- It started in a vague dream of getting off the ski-lift gondola at a mountain ski lodge, and stepping out on the metal grate.
- Lift options include the new 12-person gondola which departs from the centre of Soldeu, and several chair-lifts that offer access to La Solana summit and the Riba Esorxada.
- The hotel is about five minutes’ walk from the Eagle Bahn gondola.
- The three areas have over two dozen ski lifts, mostly chairlifts and gondolas, serving a multitude of trails and runs from the valley floor to open slopes above treeline.
- As well as riding the Cairngorm funicular and the Nevis Range gondola, visitors are being encouraged to pursue a widening variety of warm weather sports.
- At the base of Grouse Mountain I entered into another means of transportation: the Skyride, a 6 minute gondola/tram ride to the main complex at the top of the Mountain.
- Located across the valley, you take a bus to the old-school Rendl gondola, which drops you on the complete opposite side of the mountain.
- A ride up the gondola here will enable visitors to get a bird's eye view of the majestic Canadian Rockies mountain range.
- In Europe you'll take a few lifts in a row and then a tram or gondola to get to the top of the mountain for a half hour run whereas most resorts that I've been to in the States are much shorter with one or two lifts to the summit.
- In addition to enjoying the experience itself, volunteers are allowed to ride the lifts and gondola at Grouse for the rest of the day after the lessons end at noon.
- Mountain Village is connected to Telluride by a free, public gondola.
- History fans will appreciate the vintage ski clothing and attire as well as some of the actual chairs and early gondolas and other devices used in the first ski lifts.
- The skiing is immediate and world-class; one lift and one gondola terminate three blocks south of Colorado Avenue, which everyone calls Main.
- Each village has its own chair lift or gondola starting from the town centre.
- The next day we venture to Livigno's highest runs on the Carosella 3000 gondola and plunge back down to earth.
- For skiers, the hotel couldn't be more handy: It's a short stroll from the Telluride Ski & Golf Company's gondola and chair-lift.
- Part of the fun is getting to the restaurants: by gondola, snowmobile, multipassenger snow cat, sleigh - even snowshoes or skis.
4also gondola car
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.