In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Osborn chose to ignore Darwin's correct guess that because Africa was where gorillas and chimps lived, the cradle of mankind would be found there.
- In fact, Huxley argued, a human differs much less from an ape, such as a chimpanzee or gorilla, than an ape does from a baboon.
- The great apes, chimpanzees, orang-utans or gorillas as well as children respond in the same way.
- The mountain gorilla, Gorilla beringei beringei, became known to science 100 years ago.
- A western lowland gorilla peers out at onlookers deep within a remote forest in the Central African Republic.
- The chimp and mountain gorilla are the only great apes found naturally is East Africa.
- Conflict, illegal mining, and the growing bush-meat trade have all contributed to a 70 percent population decline of the eastern lowland gorilla, according to conservation groups that announced the preliminary findings this week.
- Two at risk are great apes found only in Congo - eastern lowland gorillas and bonobos, or pygmy chimpanzees.
- Kukee, a 34-year-old western lowland gorilla, is thought to have died in the early hours of Tuesday morning after suffering from a short illness over the festive season.
- The news contrasts sharply with recent, more detailed surveys for another gorilla subspecies, the eastern mountain gorilla, which is found mainly on the Virunga Mountains in the Congo and Uganda.
- Mayor just returned from tracking the western lowland gorilla in Central African Republic, the subject of an EXPLORER program that will premiere early next year.
- It has a relatively short face and canine teeth that are shorter than those of gorillas or chimpanzees.
- One of the most endangered species in the world and the largest living primate, the lowland gorilla originates from the tropical rain forests of equatorial Africa, particularly the Congo and Cameroon.
- There are antelope and deer in this part of the forest; bigger animals such as forest elephants, gorillas and big cats can only be found nearer to the border with Cameroon.
- Most knowledge of gorilla behavior comes from studies of the eastern mountain gorilla, found mostly in Rwanda and Uganda.
- These include the Sumatran orangutan of Indonesia, the mountain gorilla of Africa, and northern muriqui of Brazil.
- Western lowland gorilla families vary in size, sometimes numbering more than 20 individuals.
- In less than a month, they destroyed more than 4,000 acres of prime habitat for one of the world's most critically endangered species, the mountain gorilla.
- The mountain gorilla - the most rare with only about 600 animals remaining - is found at high altitudes, generally between 5,400 ft to 12,440 ft, in the Congo, Rwanda and Uganda.
- The mountain gorilla was discovered by Western explorers around a century ago.
2EEUU argot(in organized crime)gorila masculino coloquialmatón masculinoguarura masculino México
- Robins new boss is a gorilla.
- Here's a great idea...we'll team an attractive, smart, considerate wife with a fat, obnoxious, gorilla of a husband... people will never see this coming!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.