In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The classic example concerns the pioneering ethologist Konrad Lorenz, who imprinted a gaggle of goslings who were under the unfortunate impression he was their mother to follow him everywhere.
- She has lots of experience with animals with two dogs, George and Tiger and a cat called Gypsy and her granny's geese and two goslings.
- Adaptations such as rapid growth and development, shortened prefledging period, and small adult body size enable goslings of high Arctic geese to attain flight and migrate before the fall freeze-up.
- An aggressive Canada goose supervised its goslings while ducks enjoyed bread offered by a child.
- It was taken this morning, and shows only a small number of the Canada geese and goslings that have more or less taken over the area near the Newnham bridge side of the Embankment.
- There are no Pelicans anyway to pose a threat to the geese, ganders and goslings.
- The event runs until Saturday, April 18 and offers the chance to see ducklings, goslings and cygnets.
- The parents lead the young to water and food, and the goslings feed themselves.
- Police are investigating Sunday's shooting when the goose and her three young goslings were used as target practice.
- My experience this morning involved somewhat smaller, though no less threatening, parents - two pairs of Canada geese, one with four goslings and one with a whopping total of nine.
- Because of the short Arctic summer, goslings must fledge at a relatively low proportion of adult body mass as compared with other birds, and with low fat reserves.
- Spatial variation in growth of Barnacle Goose goslings and Lesser Snow Goose goslings also has been related to variation in food abundance.
- It had been over a month since I'd been able to go to the area, so the cute fuzzy goslings and ducklings would be big.
- They settle in the farmland areas to feed on the grass, putting on weight, especially the goslings, in preparation for the flight to Scotland and Ireland.
- Growth is especially important in geese because size of goslings at the end of their first summer strongly influences their probability of surviving their first year, adult body size and fecundity.
- Check out these adorable ducklings and goslings!
- The first of those two indices was obtained by counting, once per day, the number of Emperor Goose broods in which all goslings could be observed.
- During early summer, the adults undergo their annual monthlong molt, and the goslings do not yet know how to fly and depend on food they can walk to, such as mowed grass.
- Following egg laying, the birds almost disappear until the time comes to escort flotillas of goslings to the water.
- Arnold was there to show off his sheep, hens, geese and little goslings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.