In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in British Commonwealth)
- The Governor and his Lady moved into Government House in 1805, with further work continuing on the house for years after.
- As home of the Governor, Government House plays an important role in the public life of Queensland.
- Their Honours hosted afternoon tea at Government House, in celebration of the official 80th birthday of the Queen.
- The swearing in of the Ministry will take place on Monday afternoon, 26 November 2001, at Government House, Canberra.
- Tasmania's Government House is today regarded as one of the best Vice-Regal residences in the Commonwealth.
la residencia del Gobernador
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.